A couple of weekends ago I spent the most amazing weekend on an Ayurveda retreat in the mountains of Santa Maria de Dota Costa Rica, about an hour and half south of San Jose. Ayurvedic Therapist, Flora Domenis, led the retreat in one of the most beautiful settings surrounded by pure forest and nature.
Ayurveda is one of the oldest practices of medicines in the world originating in India more than 3,000 years ago. Ayurveda, ayur (life) and veda (science or knowledge), in Sanskrit is based on achieving perfect health through a balanced mind, body, and spirit.
Throughout the weekend, we studied the basics of Ayurveda through theory, yoga, meditation, and Ayurvedic cooking classes with lessons on how to include all 6 basic flavors in every meal we make and which foods we should be eating depending on which Dosha we are (Vata, Pitta, Kapha). We also studied how to include these practices into our daily routine and habits. Below I’d like to share with you 13 morning must-dos for a sexy mind, body, and spirit that I learned during the retreat and have now adopted into my morning routine.
1. Wake up early (Vata- 6:00am, Pitta- 5:30am, Kapha- 4:30am)
2. Pray or meditate, thank God for your existence. This can help you set your intention for the day and project what your day will be like
3. Wash your face, eyes, and mouth with cold water
4. Drink a glass of warm water with lemon (BEFORE your tea or coffee) preferably in a copper cup for cleansing your kidneys and to improve digestion
5. Go to the bathroom
(If you go to the bathroom immediately after waking up, this is a sign of good health. If you’re not then you’re not digesting your food well.)
6. Chew a handful of sesame seeds- this stimulates the stomach and liver
7. Brush your teeth, scrape your tongue, and do a 10-minute coconut oil pulling with virgin coconut oil to get rid of all of that bacteria! (I do my coconut oil pulling at night)
8. Do some sort of light exercise (12 meditative sun salutations for Vata, 16 meditative moon salutation for Pitta, and 12 fast sun salutations for Kapha)
9. Eat a light breakfast- I usually make a fruit smoothie, granola, or pinolillo smoothie (a traditional Nicaraguan cacao and corn based drink)
10. Shower- preferably cold to improve circulation, weight loss, increased alertness, refined skin and hair, and eased stress
11. Give your beautiful body a rub down! Massage some oil all over your body. You can do this before or after the shower but wait 15 minutes for it to absorb before showering or dressing. Heating up the oil will improve digestion. This oil massage hydrates and protects your skin not to mention gives some one-on-one time to connect with your body. (Vata- Sesame seed oil, Pitta- Sunflower or Almond oil, Mustard oil- Kapha)
12. Dress yourself in clean clothes that smell clean and make you feel nice, preferably with natural cottons and materials, which are best for the skin.
13. Use a aromatherapies as a perfume- natural scents that are nontoxic are the best for your health, help you tune into your intuition, relieve stress, and concentrate the mind. (Vata- Rose, Vanilla, Orange, or Vetiver, Pitta- Jasmine or Lavender, Kapha- Juniper, Eucalyptus, Marjoram)
Now you’re ready to start the day like a boss after such a powerful morning routine! Imagine how much more focused, productive, and sexy you’ll feel after treating your body with such luxury!
For more information on Ayurveda Retreats in Costa Rica, finding your Dosha, and to learn how to live a more balanced and healthy life, visit Pura Vidya.